Saturday, February 19, 2011

Nordstrom and Women of Color

A couple days ago, I was perusing my copy of the Nordstrom February 2011 catalogue, when I noticed an interesting phenomenon: the majority of the photographs in this volume featured models of color. In fact, of the 64 pages (including front and back cover shots) that included photographs of women, 47 of them featured minority women. I did not miss the full page spread noting Nordstrom's support of Black History Month, and the Be The Match Registry (which, by the way, is enormously generous - they're offering to support the cost of adding a new member to the bone marrow donor registry up to $75,000 - more on that in a later post) so the choice of minority models for the February catalogue may have occurred in coordination with that, but I will also say, Nordstrom does seem to make pretty consistent use of diverse models (women of color, as well as plus size models) on their website and in their  catalogues, as a rule, which I've always appreciated.

Nordstrom Catalogue, February 2011, front cover

Equity issues have been on my mind lately, as I recently attended an internal professional development/workshop at work, addressing the challenges faced by African American male students. In the past, I've mostly found myself absorbed with issues of gender equity, seeing as how racial equity issues seem a whole heck of a lot more complicated (to me, anyway), but I'm beginning to realize more and more that these things really go hand in hand. 

Nordstrom Catalogue, February 2011, pgs. 16-17

We women are familiar with the token diversity that plays out on the pages of most retail catalogues - J. Crew is one that comes to mind for me, where there is usually at least one image of an Asian model (those are the ones that pop out at me, because...well, they look like me more than the others), usually in a suit (because we're industrious like that). However, this doesn't really make me feel represented by this company or their catalogues. While recycling the same photos of an Asian model in a suit might be cost effective, and a way to claim that you're addressing diversity in your catalogue/website, it's not the same as making a real and meaningful commitment to racial equity in your company's media.

Nordstrom Catalogue, February 2011, pgs. 47-48

I'm not saying that J. Crew and other retail companies are institutionally racist, but it's not a stretch to say that there may be some structural racism* at play here. Just to illustrate, I took a look at the websites of four retailers I commonly visit - Nordstrom, Anthropologie, J. Crew, and Bloomingdales. Anthropologie's website is slightly different from the others, as most of their garments are photographed on dress forms, but they do have some styling pages that use models. I started counting the number of images that were easily accessed, that used images of models, but decided that the sample was too small to make meaningful comparison to the other three sites. I am, therefore, discounting them from this comparison. I did a count of the models of color used on each retailer's "Womens: Dresses" pages, and as of 3:30 PM PST, 2/17/11, these are the percentages of models of color utilized in each company's website:


Nordstrom had the highest percentage of minority women modeling their products, with 32 of 99 images (just their first page of dresses) featuring minority women. Bloomingdales had 17 of 96 (also their first page, when you clicked on the "view 96 per page" option), and J. Crew had a pretty poor 3 out of 145 (this is when you clicked on their "view all" option - without that option, they would have had zero models of color on their first page of dresses. Note: I did not include any dress form images in the total count of 145 for J. Crew). Now, this was a somewhat unscientific polling, if you will, since I didn't have the census information for the individual models and have no idea how the women personally identify themselves, but I think that's okay, because for the purposes of this type of exercise, it's really what the consumer is perceiving that matters.

So, kudos to Nordstrom - just another reason for me to love this company and spend my dollars there. But what about you? How do you feel about racial equity in the composition of a retailer's media? Do you personally feel under or even over-represented in fashion-related media?

*Structural Racism: The cumulative impact of racism on multiple institutions over time. It encompasses (1) history which lies beneath the surface providing the foundation for white racial advantage, (2) culture which serves to normalize and replicate racist images and ideas, and (3) interconnected institutions and policies that perpetuate and reinforce racial power disparities.

15 comments:

  1. I do. I feel underrepresented in all of the media I consume each day, but it's all better when I see that (for me), actual media are people like you and others who are real women blogging.

    While it may not be in glossy catalogues or magazines, I feel more represented by the blogging community than by companies. Which is sad, really...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with FB about the blogging community. As a petite woman alone, I have never felt much of a connection to models and most women in the media. As a Jewish woman, I have felt far less connected. This is why I love the blogging community so much. I'm glad to see that you've started a new blog devoted to greater issues. I look forward to reading what you have to say next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fantastic post! I'm so glad that you started this second blog-- I have a feeling this is going to be another favorite in my reader :)

    I think people underestimate the importance of opening a catalogue or viewing a website and seeing at least some people that look like them. There is something dehumanizing about visiting a website and feeling as though these clothes or these products are not meant for people like you. Even though that probably wasn't the *intent" of the retailer, that is often the *impact*.

    I'm not surprised to see Nordstrom get kudos in this department- just another reason to feel good about spending my dollars there.

    Please continue to feature these type of posts-- they are so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really interesting. I, too, have often noticed that Nordstrom does a very good job of showing models of all different ethnicities in their catalogs (not quite United Colors of Benetton status, but admirable indeed). I'm not a huge fan of J. Crew, but up until now, I've always thought it was because of their price points. I wonder if seeing their ads full of ppl who look nothing like me (petite Asian) is part of the equation as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a statistician it really isn't that simple.

    Taken from the US census from 2000 (2010 figures do not seem to be available as actuals only projections):

    There is a total population in the US of 308,745,538.

    Of this US population approximately 10,000,000 are Asian; 35,000,000 are Black; 500,000 are native Hawaiian & Pacific Islanders; 2,500,000 are American Indian & Alaskan Natives; and 35,300,000 are Hispanic.

    These races (what I would assume would be races of 'color') comprise approximately 26% of the total population. Remove the Hispanic population and it is down to 15.5% of the total population. The reason to remove the Hispanic population count is the questionable methods used to count the Hispanics. The government has a large interest in skewing these numbers to be high.

    All that being said are you saying that a larger number of woman of 'color' should be represented that what is in the actual population. Isn't that racist?

    Something to think about...

    ReplyDelete
  6. As another aside, doesn't it make sense for these companies to decide who their demographic is and appeal to these demographics? If your demographic is 98% white, wouldn't it be a bad business decision to have 95% black models?

    What about Ebony? Nobody decries the fact that everyone is black. And nobody should. The demographic is nearly 100% black.

    People should be free to pick and choose and group themselves as to how they feel comfortable. I know that when I am looking at a catalog or a website I like to see models of similar coloring and body type to get an idea of what the dress will look like on me. Nordstrom even lets you search by body type. Maybe they should let you choose skin color too (like they do for the color of the items - that would be pretty cool).

    Remember the clothing brand FUBU? It's ok for them and it's ok for us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes FUBU designs their clothes mainly for black and they made it very clear to everyone from the beginning. But I cannot think of any today's major clothing line (Nordstrom, Bloomingdale, or J Crew for example) that OPENLY makes the statement that their clothes are for white people.

      I agree that companies should decide who their targeting demographic is. That comes to my next point: what companies should realize nowadays is the rising purchasing power of the minority groups and realign their marketing/corporate strategy with the shifting demographic trend. I agree that the majority of the US population today is still white (well, depending on where you are coming from. If you are from the midwest, yes; but not so much if you are from Hawaii, the two coasts, or some of the Southern States. ) But that doesn't mean all of them will buy from certain brands. (Simple example, if 76% of the US population is white, not all of them are buying from Nordstrom. let's be realistic, not even half of them.)

      And I am very hopeful about this diversity thing. So many clothing lines are launching their "petite" lines nowadays. I don't think they are particularly catering to the Asian community but it shows that companies are picking up on the diversity of their customers: race, age, sex, sexual orientation, body type, body size, etc.

      Delete
  7. Carol congrats on the new blog.. I couldnt be happier to follow two of your blogs!

    I think that it's very interesting to see how Nordstrom has now been targeting other races. I am pretty sure that they have not being doing so well with this economy that they need to expand their clientele!

    Myself being hispanic, and a disrepected minority, always find findings like these very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carol, I like the direction of the new blog! Keep it up!

    I'm Caucasian, and I like seeing a variety of women represented in advertising like this. I don't expect it to be a statistical representation of the U.S. It's a celebration of the beauty of variety (and now that I think of it, I don't really identify J. Crew with variety in it's product either).
    What I don't like is what feels like gimmicky diversity in advertising (for me, Benetton feels gimmicky that way).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gee... this post made me really think about advertising in a new way. To be honest, I rarely see any models that look anything like me. I am a Latina. So I guess my ethnicity is very underrepresented.
    Also, a quick note about what the statistician posted... "Hispanic" is NOT a race according to US Statistics. One must designate it as the ethnicity, and then one must further designate "white" or "black." My husband is a northern European immigrant. So what are our children? All quite complex!
    These sorts of divisions really bother me. They are totally artificial. My husband and I NEVER answer any questions about ethnicity or skin color.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hispanic is a group measured by the US census (check it out: www.census.gov). The numbers are divided into those who identify themselves as 100% one race and those who identify themselves as part that race. I used the pure numbers. The reason to use only the 100% is you run the risk of many people being double counted. For example, if I identify myself as 1/2 Asian and 1/2 black, I will be counted twice as part of an ethic group. None of this is perfect and it is clearly flawed for many reasons; however, the pure race numbers do give a pretty good estimate of the number in each ethic group as a percentage of the total population.

    Another reason why the Hispanic numbers are questionable is this: the same methods used to count the other ethic groups are employed differently with the Hispanics. There are reasons for this and they are many; however, statistically it is incorrect and makes the data bad. You want to compare apples to apples and use the same methods to collect all the data.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Whenever you talk about social issues there will be many opinions and perspectives. I look forward to reading your thoughts on other issues. Living in So Cal myself, I imagine that most of the rest of the United States is not composed of the diversity I see here. It is one of the reasons why I enjoy living here. Over the years I feel there has been a trend for more ethnic representation in the media in general, and even though there are not as many Asian Americans I never felt under represented. It was more that is just the way it is. I don't think it has been a factor in my purchases.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey everyone - thanks so much for your comments and feedback on this first post. When it comes to what businesses want to do regarding racial equity in their media, well, it's obviously entirely up to them. They have the right to use whomever they decide is most appropriate for their websites, catalogues, etc. I would say, however, that I think that when they're mainstream companies appealing to a wide segment of the population for their business, it may help more than hurt them when they are more inclusive in their media. I can't speak to what an appropriate percentage of minority models to white models would be - as a friend of mine aptly pointed out, there's no magic formula for how ethnicities should be represented in print media or websites. I think it really comes down to whether or not you choose to see that there is a disparate impact of media representation of race, and then, whether or not you decide - as an individual or as a company - to do something about it. As is apparent in the discussion of the flaws in collecting data regarding race, it comes down to the point that establishing the definition of race (biologically, culturally, historically) is fuzzy and difficult. The numbers are what they are, but it's up to us to decide what we should do with them, if anything. I personally am choosing to take a look at some of the companies I frequently patronize, and acknowledge with gratitude, the ones that are more inclusive in their media.

    The example of Ebony is interesting but not perfect as a point of comparison. Ebony was founded, in great part, to provide a voice for, to show the faces of, and to document the positive impact of African Americans on society, thereby filling a gap that existed in print media during the latter part of the 20th century. It was meant to address an imbalance in the portrayal of blacks in media. It seems problematic, therefore, to suggest that the existence of this and similar magazines justifies the very imbalance they sought to correct.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think its interesting that you feel like Nordstrom is being altruistic by "supporting" Black history month by using some Black models for their clothing. What I think would be more interesting would be to see how many minorities made it to high ranking positions in their company. But kudos to Nordstrom for having a marketing department that came up with this ad campaign, though I find it's somewhat silly to use this as justification to spend your dollars there, when their aim is to get you to do just that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's a good point, though I would note that this post was about racial equity in retail media, not in staffing and management. That will be the subject of future posts, I hope. I don't think Nordstrom is being "altruistic" by using black models - I think it's good business sense and just good marketing policy in general and makes for a healthier climate for racial equity in media, and I encourage other companies who are not doing near as much to consider doing the same. And maybe I wasn't clear enough in my post, but Nordstrom's use of minority models extends far beyond just this one time catalogue for this one month a year. I think it's fair to say they're pretty consistent in their use of men and women of color for their product modeling. Also, since every business exists with the aim to get me to spend my dollars in their establishments, I think using a company's record on racial equity in their media is a much less silly justification to patronize a company, than say...what celebrities have been hired to represent a business, or what computer generated mascot has been used to promote it, or what imaginary, manufactured "lifestyle," I'll supposedly adopt through purchase of a product - all very popular and successful, but less positively impactful (on society at large) marketing techniques.

    ReplyDelete